|Photo by Clair Buys/BYU Magazine|
My adapted version:
Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup
3 (14 oz) cans diced tomatoes, with juice1 cup finely diced celery
1 cup finely diced carrots
1 cup finely diced onions
1 tsp dried oregano
1 T dried basil
4 cups chicken broth (nope, one whole box)
1 bay leaf
½ cup flour
1 cup Parmesan cheese
½ cup butter
2 cups skim milk
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper
1. Add tomatoes, celery, carrots, chicken broth, onions, oregano, basil, and bay leaf to a large slow cooker.
2. Cover and cook on high for 5-7 hours, until flavors are blended and vegetables are soft. Let cool and pull ceramic crockpot bowl out of electric component, place on a hot pad (to protect your fridge), and refrigerate overnight. This really lets the flavors mingle and be amazing!
3. Next day, reheat in crockpot until warm.
4. About 30 minutes before serving prepare a roux in a separate pot. Melt butter over low heat in a skillet and add flour. Stir constantly with a whisk for 5-7 minutes. Slowly stir in 1 cup hot soup. Add another 3 cups and stir until smooth. Add skim milk and stir for a few minutes until warm. Add all back into the slow cooker.
5. Stir and add the Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper.
6. Cover and cook on LOW for another 30 minutes or so until everything is warmed through and ready to serve.
Let me know if you try it out, and any other alterations you would make!