Personally, I love it when friends and family members have an Amazon wishlist so that you can pick something that they will definitely be happy to get. (Because they picked it out and requested it.) You can even add things from other stores/websites to your Amazon list so that all your dream items can be found on one easy list. There is also a place to add comments on each item, such as size and color preferences, and a way to itemize each item by priority so that people looking at your list can see which items you want the most.
One last reason I love Amazon wish lists is that I can buy someone a gift spur of the moment and it will automatically be delivered to them. You can even buy e-books for people and they will be able to download them to their own e-reader. So handy. It makes gift-giving easy and stress free, and the recipient is always surprised and delighted to get something they have been wishing for.
For some people this registry format of gift-giving spoils all the fun of giving a gift. I still think wish lists are effective in these cases as a resource to see their tastes and preferences. Wish lists are helpful either way, even if you decide to stray from their specified list.
Here is a gift guide I've put together for the different people in your life to help get the ideas flowing.
1. Movie ticket vouchers with a note attached including your services as a free babysitter for when they use them.
2. A new board game in the same vein you already play with them, and you know they like.
3. Gift card for a local restaurant.
2. Hanae Mori: My new favorite perfume
3. Bringing Up Bebe by: Pamela Druckerman
1. Tickets to a favorite sporting event, concert, or play
2. DVD set of their favorite television show
3. Magazine subscription to Sports Illustrated, National Geographic, etc.
1. Teenage Beauty by Bobbi Brown
2. Comfort Chair: Great for camping, sports events, and picnics.
3. Birchbox Subscription: For her, or him.
Or an Ipsy subscription.
1. Crayon Maker: Recycles leftover crayon pieces into new crayons. You can even combine colors to make new colors.
3. Crayon Rings
3. WeWood Watch: So many cool watches to choose from.
For Your Sweetheart:
3. Gift certificate for a couple's massage
What kinds of things would you gift for these categories?
What is on your wish list? I always like hearing recommendations!