Thursday, February 16, 2012

#4 Pinspiration: Miss Susan's Pineapple Sheet Cake

One of my goals for this year included executing some pins I collected on Pinterest. Here is a cake I couldn't resist trying from The Big Red Kitchen.

First of all I must say that I don't really even like cake. It's usually dry and not that good. If I am going to eat something that isn't that good for me, I want it to be worth it! I usually go for a Birthday Pie instead of a Birthday Cake. (Coconut Cream, please. -Or a cheesecake which is more of a pie than cake with it's delicious filling and crust.)

That said, I do like a nice pineapple upside down cake, and so when I saw this cake involving a can of crushed pineapple, I had to try it.

Note: I love nuts in my desserts, so I included them.

Miss Susan's Pineapple Sheet Cake
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
2 eggs
20 ounce can crushed pineapple
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup nuts- I had a few walnuts left over to use, so I added them in along with pecans

Mix all together until smooth. Pour into greased 9x13 inch baking dish and bake in a 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. 

-When I checked after 25 minutes the middle wobbled like jello, so I put it back in for a few more minutes.

Icing
8 ounces cream cheese
4 T. butter
3 cups confectioners sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup nuts- optional

Beat butter and cream cheese until smooth and creamy. Add Vanilla. Slowly add sugar and blend after each addition. Fold in nuts if desired. Ice cake while still a bit warm. Serves many as this cake is rich and sweet, so cut the pieces small as you can always have seconds. 

She was right! It was really rich and I regretted taking as large a piece as I did. Luckily the leftover I had made a yummy breakfast addition.


Pecan Cream Cheese Frosting...Mmmm.


Gazing at the golden deliciousness through the oven racks.

The final product in all it's glory!


The consensus? Yum!


We had people over for games the next night and they agreed it was delicious. I liked that it doesn't take lots of special ingredients. I bought the pineapple and already had the rest.

I actually preferred it cold the next day after refrigerating, and Zach loved it warmed up again in the microwave.

Either way, it was a success and I would definitely make it again.

If you make it, let me know how you liked it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...